Monday, September 28, 2009

I see....

Today is a day I choose to see. To see the people that are walking right in front of me. To see their needs. To see their hurt. To see them, who they are, what they are about.

This morning I went to our middle school ministry (Redeemed) service; something I do most every Monday morning... but this morning was different. As I greeted each of the young students I didn't just give high fives and say the normal "Hey! How are ya!?!" without waiting for a reply. This morning God's grace gave me eyes to really see them.... and the results... well... one girl just lost a family member, she deserately needed someone to notice, and to hold her through the grieving pain she felt. My heart was overwhelmed as she clung to me like I was the first person to ever hug her; another young girl looks at me with weary eyes and says "Everyone in my family is fighting. They don't stop. It's all the time..." this one, even though she was opening up and reaching out, can't even seem to look me in the eye... she looks lost and alone... I long for her to know the love, joy, and peace that I have found in Christ; and still another crying comes out from behind me and grabs me around my waist... tears overflowing.... she just wants to be held.... she has stress at home, her mom is remarrying, she's moving away from all her friends... and she just needed someone to tell it's gonna be ok and hug her with the reassurance that God was there to comfort and hold her through the tough times.

May the Lord continue to give us "eyes to see the things that make His heart cry"

"Ears to hear and eyes to see— both are gifts from the Lord" Proverbs 20:12 NLT

No comments: