Monday, March 8, 2010

Thirsty...

“Thirsty hearts are those whose longings have been wakened by the touch of God within them”
–A.W. Tozer


Do you remember what it was like when you first felt that tug on your heart? You know that feeling where you knew that no matter where you try to run or hide that the Lord was calling you to Himself. Some of us might have tried to bury that call away in things of this world, others of us may have responded immediately overwhelmed and humbled that this King, this Savior, would take notice and desire us to come to Him. Either way we’ve all heard it.

I remember. I remember being only 10 years old, and yet there I stood at the altar, at the end of the service on December 18th. My heart racing and pounding in my chest, sweaty palms gripping the pew, not understanding what this was that was going on inside my heart, but knowing that there was something I was missing. And that something was Him. My sweet Jesus.

This past Sunday I sat in church, barely paying attention to the message. My mind was in so many other places. And yet there it was, time for us to bow our heads, the big moment, the call was going out around the room to hearts that were ready… my attention was back. I looked around the room as hands went up in the front, back, the girl sitting in the row in front of me… and I was reminded.

I was reminded of that call we’ve all heard at one point or another.

The call where we knew HE was real.

His LOVE was real.

I pray we never forget that moment. The moment where our corrupted, sinful lives were washed clean and made new. The moment where the old passed away and the new came. I pray that we remember the thirst that most of us first responded to Him from.

“If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink” John 7:37

*Also, during the yesterday's service we focused on Jesus’ statement before He died “I thirst.” Pastor Chris focused on the importance of being transparent before people. How we should take off the masks of “Everything is fine” and be more real with each other. So here I am, mask down, saying the same thing “I THIRST!” There is something in me right now that is not satisfied. I thirst for more of my God. I thirst for the intimacy I experienced when I first met Him. I thirst to hear His voice, feel His presence, and commune with Him as I did when I first met Him. To find my first love.

Today I began reading a book called Sacred Romance By: John Eldridge. As I read the first chapter and wept my heart was awakened again. I was reminded how I thirst… and how deep within me there is a longing for more… Most of this blog is an overflow of what was going on inside my heart throughtout the day. Hope it touches someone! :)

1 comment:

Terri said...

Love this post and miss you, Ami! Hugs!